09 August 2012

Minke Whales south of Gower

Minke Whale
I was lucky enough to be part of a Boat trip, today, that successfully tracked Minke Whales in the waters between Gower and Lundy. Rob & Jenny Colley, Keith Naylor, Jacqueline Hartley, Dai Roberts, Len Moran, Veronica Shenston, Laura Roberts and myself were treated to spectacular scenes and came away very pleased with the day. This particular Minke was found by Veronica, very nice it was too! Hopefully I'll get a chance to put together a post to do the trip justice in the next few days but, I couldn't resist putting this photo up to whet the appetite. My special thanks go to Rob Colley for a truly unforgettable day

3 comments:

Barry Stewart said...

Great shot Mark and so lucky to have those conditions - it looks like it was a mill pond out there yesterday.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great run out,no sign of that little shearwater then,well done Mark
Bernie

Mark Hipkin said...

Thanks both, I was hoping for a scarcer shearwater among all the Manx's but I couldn't find one, The most unexpected bird was a Teal which was with a couple of Guillemots right out in open water.