11 January 2013

Grey Gower

While rushing down to the Whiteford Lighthouse, this afternoon, before the 'light' disappeared, I noticed this cracking male Merlin just siting on a post and seemingly, not too bothered by me. I found it impossible to pass by without trying to get a shot of it, and it duly obliged. I think it is safe to say that both of us were disenchanted by the continuous rain! In the end, he cheered himself up by chasing a Meadow Pipit into the murk, and I was left with hopes of a big, partially pale Gull!
To my relief the juvenile Glaucous Gull was still in the area. It was loafing around on the incoming tide, with a couple of Great Northern Divers to it's right, a pair of Red-breated Mergansers behind, a flock of mainly male Eider overhead and some very confiding Dark-bellied Brent Geese waddling along the shore. Good ol' Whiteford!
Earlier c2200 Common Scoter at Rhosssili, with 1204 at countable range. In among them a Long-tailed Duck. Also in the area, a few Red-throated Divers and the duty watchman, manning the lookout station, told me about 2 Skuas that I didn't see. In between, Rhossili and Whiteford, a visit was made to the Tree Sparrow feeding stations, where, unfortunately there were none to be seen.

1 comment:

Barry Stewart said...

Well done Mark - it's challenging enough trying to get shots of things that don't move in these gloomy conditions - I like the scoters on the sea - surely it's just a matter of time before a Surfy joins them...