13 April 2010

Bumblebees...

This handsome Bombus vestalis was my first cuckoo of the year, photographed basking in the heather beds at the entrance to Bracelet Bay car park. It is probably the most common of the cuckoo-bumblebees in our area, the host being Bombus terrestris.
Other species recorded in our area so far this year have been:
Bombus terrestris (commonly) Buff-tailed Bumblebee
Bombus pratorum (frequently) Early-nesting Bumblebee
Bombus pascuorum (occasionally) Common Carder Bumblebee
Bombus lapidarius (frequently) Red-tailed Bumblebee
Bombus lucorum (occasional) White-tailed Bumblebee
NB
Bombus hypnorum Wood Carder Bumblebee and Bombus ruderarius Red-shanked Bumblebee have both been seen in adjacent counties recetly so worth looking out for...

5 comments:

David Carrington said...

Nice shot. I think we had one in February at Kenfig. It was flying round a fire but we failed to catch it for confirmation of id. If people want to learn more about bumblebees and how to help them visit:

http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/index.htm

Mark Hipkin said...

Yeah, great shot. Shows the smokey wings very nicely. Only my first B.pratorum today and B.lapidarius yesterday, no B.pascuorum yet. Have you been chased off any allotments yet?

Barry Stewart said...

Not yet - in fact every allotment person I have spoken to so far seems very interested in encouragng the bees.

Mark Hipkin said...

Good stuff. I suppose it's in their interests having more bees around, to maximise the harvest etc.. I'm looking to encourage the Sedge Warblers! I'm going to be so pleased when I finally catch up with one, it will be like finding a rarity ;o)

Barry Stewart said...

saw my Bombus hortorum of the year in the garden this afternoon on Erysimum bicolor 'Bowles Mauve'