24 April 2010

Worm's Head seabirds

Neil Edwards and myself walked out to the end of Worm's Head in the chilly breeze first thing. At the end there were great views of feeding Manx (c.800), Gannet (c.30), Sandwich Tern (23+) and lots of auks, with 140 Razorbill and 200 Guillemot on and around the outer head itself, though no Puffins yet. Also past west, 1 Red-throated Diver and 40 Common Scoter. Land birds on The Worm included a couple of Peregrines, loads of Linnets, Stonechat, but very little sign of any migrant activity.
Halfway...by Devil's Bridge
Just before the final climb, good fly-bys of auks...
From the end, bird's-eye view of Razorbills - more of this species as I have ever seen here!
But the stars of the show were the feeding groups of Manx, Gannets and Herring Gulls. There's obviously plenty bait fish out there at present.

1 comment:

Mark Hipkin said...

Great shots Barry. I really like the feeding party photo. A pretty good time at Oxwich as well, I see. Nearly called in on the way back but chose Blackpill and Crymlyn Burrows instead, doh! Little Tern is one of my favourite birds so I'm a little bit jealous!