27 July 2011

Shrill Carder Bumblebee (incorrect see below)

Shrill Carder Bumblebee (Bombus sylvarum)
I saw my first Shrill Carder today in a nice area near the Port Talbot docks next to the river Avon. Thanks go to Elen Richards who discovered this population last year. I only saw one bee today which was a male but the species is so named after the workers that can be heard to give a "shrill buzz" when flying between flowers whilst foraging.
Shrill Carder Bumblebee (Bombus sylvarum)
Following the comment below I realise that I've made a very basic mistake with the identity of this bee. As mentioned in the comments the bee is B. pascuorum.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Bombus pascuorum.

Mark Hipkin said...

Thanks for letting me know. Apologies to the rest for the misidentification. Hopefully I can put this right and find the real McCoy.

Mark Hipkin said...

OMG!! What was I thinking, it's not even close! On the plus side now I've got a photo of a pale B. pascuorum. Hmmm...

Barry Stewart said...

I must admit that I find bee id very difficult this time of year. I photographed some bees on Sea Holly today and still pondering over one or two!

Mark Hipkin said...

It's very easy to get stung by them that's for certain!