|each flower about an inch across|
Due to todays breezy conditions Neil kindly held the base of the plant to steady it while I took a few shots and afterwards he commented how it had left his hands all sticky. I hope he washed them before eating as I've just read that it can be toxic, even fatal, in low doses. Apparently plants produce hyoscyamine, scopolamine, and other tropane alkaloids and common effects of Henbane ingestion in humans include hallucinations, dilated pupils, restlessness, flushed skin and occasionally tachycardia, convulsions, vomiting, hypertension, hyperpyrexia and ataxia.
This plant was also discovered at Port Eynon car park in 2001 by the late Tony Lewis. He later found out that apparently dozens of seedlings appeared there in 2000 but were destroyed with only a few surviving to flower in 2001. These are the only modern West Glamorgan records I am aware of, so please do make a note if you come across it elsewhere, but best not to touch it!