21 December 2010

Southeastern Lesser Whitethroat in Skewen

This cracking little bird, found and identified by Julie & Wayne Eustace in their Skewen garden, is the first occurrence that I am aware of in our area of this form, though in Eastern Glamorgan similar birds have been recorded at Kenfig in 1982 and in a Bridgend garden in February 2005.

...differences between this form and the more familiar nominate race include the light sandy-coloured upperparts, pale wing panel and small bill. The taxonomy of the species is complex and eastern races are currently treated as 'Southeastern Lesser Whitethroat'. I've posted a few more shots at http://www.moonmoths.blogspot.com/
Note that Julie and Wayne regret they are not able to offer an open house to birders (viewing from the house is the only way of seeing the bird) and they inform me that it has been present since 17th November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry,no chance of you getting an inhand examinition,
cheers Bernie

Barry Stewart said...

Hi Bernie. I do know where you're coming from, but in this case it's definitely best the bird is left undisturbed. In any case I've stopped ringing because of the adverse weather. Given the state of play with the taxonomy of this species, I'm not sure how revealling an exercise this would be. There's also the issue of obtaning permission from the owners, who I know would rightly insist that the bird should be left alone. I hope to get some better images and may try recording its call. Keep you posted. Have great Christmas, Barry.