16 January 2012

Bob Rigdon

Bob, Dean and myself in the Nitten Field last autumn
(c) Gordon Howe 
I regret passing on the very sad news that my good friend Bob Rigdon passed away last night. Bob was diagnosed with lung cancer last year, yet despite his worsening health, always managed a smile and a laugh whenever I saw him. He was a true gentleman, modest and polite, but always cheery and a little bit cheeky whenever we were out ringing, no matter how early the hour! Bob loved exploring Gower and had great appreciation and affection for its wildlife and scenery. A devoted family man, our thoughts are with his wife Trish and their family at this very sad time.

5 comments:

Mark Hipkin said...

This is very sad news indeed. I only met Bob a few times and enjoyed his company very much on each occasion. My heart felt condolences go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Louise Rigdon said...

Thank you so much for this Barry.
A perfect summing up of my Daddy.
Morning bird call will no longer be the same for me.
But I will always hold onto the times that he was excited when he had rung a new bird, or learnt about a new moth from you!

Chris said...

It will always be my regret that I never got the chance to go out in the field with Bob. Got know him too late and I was always too busy. But he was a great source of knowledge and enthusiasm and when we met at church he always enjoyed hearing what I'd seen and was full of hot tips on 'what was in'. Had I the money I'd buy another 'Nitten Field' in his memory.

Paul Roberts said...

Really sad news. I very much enjoyed Bob's company when ringing at the Nitten Field. My condolences to his family.

jem said...

Met Bob only a few times in Nitten but he was so good with my boistrous young son, allowed him to handle some finches and obviously was young at heart. Thanks Bob