01 April 2015

Volucella zonaria in Carmarthenshire

Volucella zonaria is a new colonist to Carmarthenshire, being recorded for the first time in a garden at Ralph Terrace (SS59) near to Llanelli`s town centre on 28th August 2013. In early September 2014, Jon Baker had one near the Tesco store at Carmarthen (SN41) and last week (hence this brief blog), I was made aware of another sighting, by Llanelli Naturalists member Veronica Haines, literally just down the road from me at Pwll, Llanelli (SN40) on 31.8.14. Look out for it in your gardens in late summer 2015!
Veronica managed to photograph this spectacularly large hoverfly and I include her photo below. Click on it to enlarge.


Another insect that has been doing well in Carmarthenshire in recent years is the hornet (which the above hoverfly mimics), with most records around the Llandeilo/Tywi Valley area.

2 comments:

Barry Stewart said...

I'm still waiting to see my first example...

GMT said...

I occasionally see V. zonaria on Buddleia flowers near the BC Wales office in Mount Pleasant, Swansea.