17 May 2011

A not so useless plant!

Bombus pratorum worker

Honeybee

Glands = x
I'd always regarded Laurel, whichever it is, as a useless plant but on sunday noticed it was receiving the attention of a lot of bees and wasps. This included my first Bombus hypnorum in my garden! The animals were visiting the base of the underside of the leaves which, as shown above, have 2 pairs of glands either side of the main rib. The gland received much licking and obviously produce something to the liking of these creatures. Sugar solution or waxy substances come to mind. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Barry Stewart said...

Never noticed this behaviour before - something I'll be looking out for. I presume the plant is Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus).

i.f.tew said...

No idea, would be nice if someone could tell me perhaps next time you're over? Lots of it in singleton as well but never seen bees on it before.

i.f.tew said...

Confirmed by Barry, it is Cherry Laurel.